[scribus] master page object levels

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 24 18:53:04 CEST 2010

On 08/24/2010 05:07 AM, a.l.e wrote:
> hi greg,
>
>> Automatic numbering doesn't have to be done on the Master Page... as
>> long as you use the special Page Numbering character, it will work on
>> any level...I think this is what a.l.e was alluding to.
>
> no, i was not.
>

> but i just tested it and in 1.3.8 you can't indead move the content
> defined in the master page on top of the content of the page itself, not
> even by reordering the layers.
>
> i thought it was already in there, but
> http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=9070 confirms that it has only been
> implemented for 1.5svn.
>

> davide, for the time being, you can create a text frame with the page
> number character in it, place it in the scrapbook, correctly set some
> guides and place, and place the page number on each page from the
> scrapbook.

There are many ways to skin a PDF with Scribus...

As you begin to learn more about what Scribus can do, you will realize
that you can tackle a problem like this in many ways.

I would consider first of all simply copying and pasting. Imagine that
you make a page numbering frame on a page, and while it's selected copy
it (Ctrl+C). You can then go to any page, press Ctrl+V, and your frame
will be pasted on that page at the same coordinates as the original.
Since this frame contains the special page numbering character, it will
reflect the appropriate page number. This would be useful when you may
have some pages on which the page number does not appear.

Secondly, consider copying pages. Create a page with all of the static
elements that will be present on every page, then Page > Copy, and copy
as many as you want appended on the end. Add more as needed.

If I were doing this, I would also consider scripting, which might allow
for taking the page numbering frame and placing it on as many pages as
you wish, and which might be especially useful for a situation where you
have left and right pages. Caution: some knowledge of Python required.

You might feel that this is somehow 'geeky' or beyond what you might
want to pursue, but if you are truly interested in putting out
professional quality results, you should be willing to learn about the
printing process, about color management, about the breadth of what some
software has to offer you, so that you can optimize the results of your
work and also learn how to produce professional results with precision,
the least effort, and the fewest mistakes. Mistakes are costly in many ways.

Greg