[scribus] Scribus vs. PageMaker 7.0

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Wed Aug 25 11:15:19 CEST 2010

hi thomas,

> I saw this application on filehippo.com and decided to download it. I
> see it resembles my current document application PageMaker 7.0a. I am
> a newspaper publisher in my family business and never made the jump
> to any other program like InDesign. I wanted to know from you all if
> Scribus is powerful and dependable enough to use as a primary
> newspaper maker. My papers are published once a week every Friday.
> PageMaker has been great, but I'm ready to move on to something more
> updated. Any feedback and comparisons of the two programs would be
> greatly appreciated; especially the pros and cons.

i've not used pagemaker for ages, but as far as i can remember, scribus
does most things page maker does.

the biggest problem you will have with scribus is that the undo system
has not been implemented yet for the text changes.

on the plus side, you certainly have the chance to be sure that you
(almost) never will loose your work through file corruption (it did
happen for every third issue as i was producing a monthly newspaper
years ago with pagemaker).

depending your newspaper characteristics you will notice more
differences...
(seeing a pdf of the result may help us to tell you what you will be
missing and what are the advantages in using scribus.

if you want to make a big contribution to scribus you can install it
and write a comparison with pm from your point of view.
we will be here and answer every question you have concerning how to
achieve your goals with scribus!

ciao
a.l.e