[scribus] Scribus vs. PageMaker 7.0

Margaret and George McIntosh tenbear at myfairpoint.net
Wed Aug 25 13:12:54 CEST 2010

On 18 Aug 2010 at 15:18, Thomas Wyatt wrote:

>   Hi All,
>
> I saw this application on filehippo.com and decided to download it.
> see it resembles my current document application PageMaker 7.0a. I
> am a
> newspaper publisher in my family business and never made the jump to
> any
> other program like InDesign. I wanted to know from you all if
> Scribus is
> powerful and dependable enough to use as a primary newspaper maker.
> My
> papers are published once a week every Friday. PageMaker has been
> great,
> but I'm ready to move on to something more updated. Any feedback and
> comparisons of the two programs would be greatly appreciated;
> especially
> the pros and cons.
>
> Regards,
> Tom

I do a quarterly newsletter, so it is not as big as yours nor as often, I used Pagemaker
6.5 for many years and have used Scribus for the past 2 issues. I switched because
Adobe has not continued support for Pagemaker and with each new version of
Windows fewer things work.

Scribus is different but not that much. It has no spellcheck and requires a frame for
images. Also several smaller differences. Once you get past the learning curve it does
all the things I want. I suggest you give it a try but maybe you want to do it in parallel
with Pagemaker for a while.

George