[scribus] master page object levels

Rob Oakes lyx-devel at oak-tree.us
Tue Aug 31 03:55:14 CEST 2010

Hi,

I wanted to chime in on one point:

>>> There is *very* little need for layers in DTP apps. Quite the opposite, it’s
>>> more a disturbant habit than anything else.

I have to disagree.  Back in college, I worked at a print house helping with pre-press preparation.  (I later went on to become a scientist/engineer.)  The printer I worked at specialized in the creation of fine arts promotional materials, brochures and catalogs.

Because of the highly visual nature of the material, some layouts were extremely complex.  In many instances, layers weren't just useful, but essential.  (Especially if multiple people were working on the project.) They allowed you to group elements, lock them to the canvas and hide them from view.  I didn't use them quite the same way I use Scribus layers, but they were still a very important tool.

So, as the other poster said, it really depends on what you're creating.  For more complicated layouts, they can mean the difference between productivity and premature baldness.

Cheers,

Rob