[scribus] PDF error "An error exists on this page"

Marco Boeringa marco at boeringa.demon.nl
Tue Mar 30 10:59:44 CEST 2010

Ok, I now had a slightly closer look at the issue. One thing that I have
now noticed is that the issue with Adobe Reader generating the "An error
exist on this page" message seems to go away when I choose "Compress
Text and Vector Graphics" (Image compression set to Maximum quality and
Compression method to Automatic). When the error does occur, sometimes,
but not always, the document is not displayed properly in Adobe Reader.
But even when it is properly displayed, the error may pop-up as soon as
you either start scrolling the document back and forth, or consistently
when I try to print the document. After printing has finished (Adobe
Reader progress dialog closed, print job send to printer that starts to
print), the message pops up.

I still find it strange that an only slightly different version (just
some minor changes to vector graphics), didn't cause issues. But maybe
the compression removes a minor fault in one of the vector grahics? But
that still baffles me, because I also one-by-one removed all the new
graphics and tried exporting to PDF to see if that would solve the issue
at some point. But that didn't help. Only the Compress option now seems
to give a solution.

Adobe Reader version is 9.3.1 by the way on Win XP SP3, and I export to
PDF 1.5 as there is some use of transparencies.

Marco