[scribus] Scribus Help

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Thu Oct 7 22:23:11 CEST 2010

On Thursday 07 October 2010 14:32:02 Julia wrote:
> Submitted on 10/07/2010
> Submitted by anonymous user: [10.1.5.224]
>
> Submitted values are:
>
>    Name: Julia
>    Email Address: jorlando44 at gmail.com
>    Subject: Scribus Help
>    Message:
> I am looking for a program that I can use to help me create a
> catalog for print. This catalog in question incorporates both
> pictures and text. It is a catalog to give to prospective buyers,
> so it has pictures/descriptions for every invetory item. A typical
> catalog will contain over 600 invetory items.
>
> I have been researching options and a lot of places have pointed me
> to Scribus. I have no education with computers, graphic design, or
> anything of the sort. I can not find anywhere on the Internet a
> straightfoward list of projects Scribus is used for.
>
> In the past, the catalogs have been done using Microsoft Word. As
> you can imagine it is always a complete and utter nightmare. There
> needs to be something out there, that isn't hundreds of dollars,
> that can help me.
>
> Can you please tell me what Scribus is and if it is a suitable
> program for the project that I need to complete?
>
> Thank You

Scribus is a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) desktop publishing
program quite suitable for your application. It offers roughly the same
features as Quark Xpress but is by no means a clone of that product.
The easiest way to learn about it is through the online tutorial. I
use it for book cover design and I wrote an e-book on that
application. See below.

Others may suggest other familiarization tools  for your use. There is
a comprehensive Scribus Manual available for $49.95 USD. But I sense
you are not ready for that yet. Visit the Scribus site and nose
around.
http://www.scribus.net

If you get stuck when using it this list will prove most helpful.
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press