[scribus] single folded brochure format (?)

Tom Emerson starman9x at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 11:35:47 CEST 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 3:25 PM, Gregory Pittman <gregp_ky at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 10/20/2010 02:00 PM, a.l.e wrote:
>
>> hi tom
>>
>>  Greetings - I need to make a brochure based on letter sized paper,
>>> with a single vertical fold. I'm surprised to not see this in the
>>> basic formats (nor FAQ), so maybe I'm just thinking about it wrong -...
>>>

> For something this small, you can even do a built-in "imposition" with the
> creation of the Scribus document.

ok, this is a bit of an "Aha!" - yes, previously, I was doing the imposition
"by hand" in advance when creating a document in open office.  The problem,
of course, was that any editing that shifted content from one page to the
next had to be "corrected" to unshift it some other way (change font sizes
or wording...) or else the "shifted" content had to be moved to the
"correct" page.  Now that I've read more about how scribus works, I see that
the thing to do here is simply "link" text boxes in the right order so that
(shifted) content moves to the "correct" next page.   (yeah, I'm real new at
this)

> Of course, once you have this you could save as a template and reuse later.
>
> yes, that is the idea (some of the content is boilerplate, so that can be
it's own set of text boxes.  The rest, of course, is specific to the
particular brochure)

Now, what would be nice is a way to link an external file (document) as the
source of a text box rather than import the actual text - this would keep
the editing separate from the layout.  Is this possible (and I'm just not
seeing it in a menu), or is this a wishlist item?  (I'm running 1.3.3.14 on
SuSE 11.3 as that is what the repository supplies - I see from the website
that newer versions exist)