[scribus] Landscape printing

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 4 16:11:33 UTC 2011

On 12/04/2011 06:03 AM, JLuc wrote:
>>> From: JudeGardner<jgardner at tconl.com>
>>> Scribus insists on printing it in portrait mode. What do I need to do?
>
> Scribus printing feature is not prefectly reliable.
>
> The thing to do is
> - export to PDF with required options,
> - open the PDF in Acrobat Reader (preferably to other PDF readers)
> - print it from there.

I think we do users a disservice by having the suggestion to print from
Adobe Reader as the only option we provide when someone is having
trouble. If this is the case, perhaps printing should be completely
removed from Scribus.

I do a fair amount of printing directly from Scribus, since I am
frequently not interested in the highest quality printout, and don't
want to bother with the added steps of exporting to PDF, then opening
with Adobe Reader just to print a page.

I just checked out printing once again with 1.4.0rc6 and Fedora 16, and
thought I was going to report that the Fedora printing bug (for which
the workaround is to use an alternative printing command) was fixed, but
the standard way only worked with an old laserjet I have and not with a
color 3in1 inkjet.

Beyond that, I did find that if the display of a page is set to
landscape, you do not want to set the printer to print landscape, since
it should print correctly. IIRC, this wasn't always the case, and one
had the challenge of playing with the combinations to get the desired
result. In case this isn't clear, you have 2 places to indicate
landscape orientation in Scribus, one being the display as you work with
Scribus, and then as a printer option when you print.

The lesson of this is that you should be able in most cases to figure
out the settings for a particular OS, Scribus version, and printer. If
you don't care to go to this bother, then the PDF-Adobe Reader option is
the more certain backup.

Greg