[scribus] Landscape printing

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Dec 5 07:25:59 UTC 2011

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 07:32:25 +0100
ale rimoldi <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> dijo:

>> I think we do users a disservice by having the suggestion to print
>> from Adobe Reader as the only option we provide when someone is
>> having trouble. If this is the case, perhaps printing should be
>> completely removed from Scribus.

I have no opinion about removing or not removing printing from Scribus,
or making the Print button export as PDF and open the PDF in Adobe
Reader and have it print from there. All I know is that landscape
versus portrait on Linux is a PITA. And I remember using Windows years
ago and it wasn't much better.

Just today I needed to print a sign on my Xerox Phaser 7400DN printer.
I use this printer to produce book covers because it can do 12x18 inch
(tabloid extra) heavy stock in full color. The sign (12x18, portrait)
took a few minutes to create in Scribus. Printing it took half an hour.
I have twelve sheets printed in landscape with half the sign on them.

I started trying to print directly from Scribus. After half a dozen
tries I gave up and exported to PDF, then tried to print from Adobe
Reader. There are a lot of options - the printer options, Adobe Reader
options, the printer driver options, and the printer control panel. I
finally got the page to print portrait by setting everything to
portrait except Adobe Reader, where I had to set it to landscape in
order to get the output in portrait orientation.

I should add that, in addition to the Phaser I have an ancient Laserjet
4+, an ancient Laserjet 5SiMX, and several Laserjet 8000s. Getting
portrait versus landscape is hit or miss with every single one of them.

I have fought portrait versus landscape on laser printers for many
years. I don't know where the problem lies. I just wish that some day I
will be able to click "portrait" or "landscape" in one place and the
output will actually be what I told it to do.