[scribus] Landscape printing

Jan Schrewe jschrewe at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 5 23:35:08 UTC 2011

On 6 December 2011 00:21, JLuc <jluc at no-log.org> wrote:

> Le 05/12/2011 07:58, Peter Nermander a écrit :
>
>  I haven't followed all the discussions of printer problems in the past
>> because I haven't had a working printer at home for years so I've
>> always used PDF export.
>>
>> But what are the problems people have with printing? As far as I
>> understand it is almost always related to page scaling and or
>> rotation? Or are people also having big problems with colors and
>> fonts?
>>

> I am afraid it is a bit more general than just page scaling or rotation.
>
> I dont print often, but i remember on windows that the printed pages
> once had a white large vertical stripe instead of the right third of the
> page.
>
> Right now, on Ubuntu, when trying to print, i get nothing out of the
> printer,
> except a red flashing led on the Brother HL5250DN laserprinter
> (strangely, scribus nor linux dont detect the problem).

I doubt there is a "real" (meaning invalid postscript) problem with what
you are trying to print. Printers usually discard the print job more or
less silently if they run out memory while rendering the page(s) they try
to raster. In the past I've had huge problems with postscript data taken
directly from ghostscript. They somehow do a horrible job on keeping the
generated postscript small and saving printer memory. Especially if there
are images involved. Strangely the PDF readers usually create stuff the
printer can handle much better. Though I don't understand enough about
postscript to really understand what's going on. But if you print to file
and compare the file size I'm pretty sure the ghostscript generated files
are mostly *a lot* bigger then the ones from the good PDF readers.