[scribus] Obtaining PDFX-3 from Scribus 1.3.3.14

Robin Dean (Google) robin.c.dean at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 20 17:36:10 UTC 2011

Hi

I asked my printer why I am getting muddy pictures in greyscale. Her
explanation is as follows (in italics):

/one possible answer is because the images are originally RGB (or
greyscale), so if you use PDFX1 (or just plain PDF) then all images get
converted automatically to CMYK which makes then very muddy. This is
because an extra layer of black gets added to all images . The preferred
flavour is PDFx-3. This format keeps all colour modes in their original
form. //. /

I have tried to export in  PDFX-3  - the preflight verifier says that
the current profile is PDF/X-3 but when I move onto the Save as PDF
dialogue box all the Tabs are available EXCEPT the PDF/X-3 tab which is
greyed out.

How do save in PDF/X-3 format?

Kind regards

Robin Dean