[scribus] unable to compile scribus-1.4.0.rc6

Owen rcook at pcug.org.au
Fri Dec 30 01:22:04 UTC 2011

> I need Scribus with multilingual support (included hyphenation and
> python scripting)
>
> I started to compile in using Qt-4.6.3 (tried also 4.8.0 but
> unsuccessfully)
>
> first problem was with recognition of Python include dir
>
> # cmake -DCMAKE_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include ..
> -- Scribus 1.4.0.rc6 will be built to install into /usr/local
> -- Machine: i486-linux-gnu, void pointer size: 4
> -- Found target X86
> -- Building for target i486-linux-gnu
> -- Using standard ApplicationDataDir. You can change it with
> -DAPPLICATION_DATA_DIR
> Qt4 Found OK
> -- Building without Qt3 Support (GOOD)
> ZLIB Library Found OK
> Using PNG Library: /usr/lib/libpng.so
> PNG Library Found OK
> JPEG Library Found OK
> TIFF Library Found OK
> CMake Error at
> /share/cmake-2.6/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:57
> (MESSAGE):
> Could NOT find PythonLibs (missing: PYTHON_INCLUDE_PATH)
> Call Stack (most recent call first):
> /share/cmake-2.6/Modules/FindPythonLibs.cmake:86
> (FIND_PACKAGE_HANDLE_STANDARD_ARGS)
> CMakeLists.txt:537 (FIND_PACKAGE)</p>
>
> not having time to further investigate, I edited cmake.lists to avoid
> call python
>
> this time compilation started, but, at 77% when gcc was ready to link
> executables, I get this very long error message:
>
> http://paste2.org/p/1844434

http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=9708 seems to be similar

Do you have the python development files. That might get the python
bit reconised.

Have you read the BUILDING file? You need all the header files, like
do you have the cairo header files, though these should have been
picked up in the initial cmake

These requirements are generic information for any BSD, UNIX or Linux
flavour.
More specific information for particular Linux distros, including
lists of
exact package names for the distro, are provided below.

Install the below packages BEFORE running CMake or compiling Scribus:

Requirements:
        Qt >= 4.6.0 (Scribus has specific code requiring Qt 4.6, not
Qt 4.5.x or before)
        Freetype >= 2.1.7 (2.3.x strongly recommended)
        cairo >= 1.4.x
        libtiff >= 3.6.0
        LittleCMS (liblcms) = 1.12 (1.18+ recommended) or LittleCMS 2
(liblcms2) >= 2.1
        libjpeg (depending on how Qt is packaged)
        libpng
        CUPS
        Fontconfig >= 2.0
        LibXML2 >= 2.6.0
Recommended:
        GhostScript >= 8.0 (8.6+ or greater preferred)
        Python >= 2.3
        tkinter for the font sampler script
        python-imaging for the font sampler preview
        pkgconfig (to assist finding other libraries)
        apspell for the spell checker
        podofo - 0.7.0+ for enhanced Illustrator AI/EPS import
        boost and boost-devel - needed for some advanced vector format
display

Owen