[scribus] Can scribus support this character?

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 3 00:09:15 UTC 2011

On 06/02/2011 05:32 PM, sinead ward wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I am completely new to the list, having just discovered scribus this evening. The software looks great and I'm hoping to be able to use it to create a newspaper all going well. One thing I would just like to be sure about though is if I can write this character (like the French accent grave) as in áéíóú. (that is the upwards moving line used on vowels). This is actually called a 'fada' in the Irish language and is used very often in Irish so it's critical I can use it.
>

> Many thanks,

Hi Sinéad,

The trick of showing a glyph rests with the font. If the font contains a
particular glyph, Scribus can show it.

Keep in mind that if you use Story Editor, your font for Story Editor
must also have this glyph for you to be able to see it there.

More or less:

character = the particular code for the text

glyph = the representation of that character in a given font

Fonts are variably complete in having glyphs for all possible
characters, some not very complete at all.

I might add that Scribus does not have the ability to "compose" a glyph
from its elements, for example, putting an accent on top of some plain
glyph. You can, though, use a tool like fontforge to make glyphs that do
not exist for a favorite font you might have (but check its licence).

Greg