[scribus] interesting article with thoughts for us

Anthony Rogers tony at themailbox.name
Wed Nov 9 12:26:18 UTC 2011

Hi there,

I know that this is an old thread but this 'issue' has just hit me.

I have just upgraded my version of Ubuntu to 11.10 and part of the process
was to upgrade to a 1.4.x version of Scribus. I had no choice in the matter
and to be honest I didn't know that I might wish to decline the upgrade of
Scribus (even if it were possible).

My point is this ... I operate in a mixed Scribus environment. Some 1.4 and
some earlier versions. It seems that it is now impossible to use 1.4 files
with the ealier versions, and indeed impossible for 1.4 to save in earlier
formats.

I cannot go forwards now without preventing those older versions from being
able to be used on these shared documents.

I accept that the developers would have to deal with this issue of backwards
compatibility and that it is a distraction from 'real development', but even
Microsoft can save in older formats to preserve some kind of usability.

I accept that new features might not be savable on an old format but that is
acceptable for people who need to work like this.

I used to be a developer and appreciate the issues here. However, I am making
this post as a previously happy, but now concerned, end user.

Best wishes,
Tony Rogers.