[scribus] interesting article with thoughts for us

John Ghormley KJ4UFG kj4ufg at sera.org
Wed Nov 9 17:27:41 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 7:26 AM, Anthony Rogers <tony at themailbox.name> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I know that this is an old thread but this 'issue' has just hit me.
>
> I have just upgraded my version of Ubuntu to 11.10 and part of the process
> was to upgrade to a 1.4.x version of Scribus. I had no choice in the matter
> and to be honest I didn't know that I might wish to decline the upgrade of
> Scribus (even if it were possible).
>
> My point is this ... I operate in a mixed Scribus environment. Some 1.4 and
> some earlier versions. It seems that it is now impossible to use 1.4 files
> with the ealier versions, and indeed impossible for 1.4 to save in earlier
> formats.
>
> I cannot go forwards now without preventing those older versions from being
> able to be used on these shared documents.
>
> I accept that the developers would have to deal with this issue of
> backwards
> compatibility and that it is a distraction from 'real development', but
> even
> Microsoft can save in older formats to preserve some kind of usability.
>
> I accept that new features might not be savable on an old format but that
> is
> acceptable for people who need to work like this.
>
> I used to be a developer and appreciate the issues here. However, I am
> making
> this post as a previously happy, but now concerned, end user.
>
> Best wishes,
> Tony Rogers.

Having been a 1.3.3.14 user initially, I can feel your frustration.
However, I believe it is wasted emotion.  The earlier format .sla files
convert to the 1.4.0 format without difficulty and everything thing works.
Unless you have some reason you cannot run 1.4.0, which I do not understand
as you stated you work in a mixed environment, I see no reason to maintain
the 1.3.3.14 version as a usable version.  However, if you wisdom trumps
mine--and why not?--with Ubuntu 11.10 you can run BOTH the tired old
1.3.3.14 version right along side of the gee-whiz 1.4.0 RC6 version and
have the best of both worlds available to you.  Now, once 1.4.0 become the
stable version that may not be as easy to do, but right now, it just means
installing both the stable (1.3.3.14) version and the -ng (1.4.0 RC6)
version.

Just remember not to save an earlier file format with the 1.4.0 version and
you will always have a way to use your good for little 1.3.3.14 version.

All this is quite true save for my editorial comments and descriptions  But
1.4.0 is so far ahead of 1.3.3.14 now, I just cannot imagine what would
compel one to run the earlier software at all.

John Ghormley  KJ4UFG
Editor, SERA *Repeater Journal*
Walkertown, NC  USA
editor at sera.org