[scribus] interesting article with thoughts for us

Peter Nermander peter at nermander.se
Thu Nov 10 06:13:15 UTC 2011

> I have just upgraded my version of Ubuntu to 11.10 and part of the process
> was to upgrade to a 1.4.x version of Scribus. I had no choice in the matter
> and to be honest I didn't know that I might wish to decline the upgrade of
> Scribus (even if it were possible).

This is most likely a matter of how Ubuntu choses to package Scribus.

When using the Scribus repositories (www.scribus.net and click on
Download to learn how to use them) the package "scribus" is still the
1.3.3 series, whereas the 1.4 series is called "scribus-ng" (ng as in
"next generation"), so both can be installed in parallel.

So you should not blame the Scribus team but the Ubuntu team. Ubuntu
has quite a long record of "breaking" things for Scribus users, for
example only packaging the Unstable version or having patches in Qt
that gives problems.

/Peter