[scribus] Printing Doesn't Produce What's In The Scribus Window

Erich Dollansky erich.lists at ovitrap.com
Mon Oct 15 00:14:13 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 12:23:21 -0400
Kenneth Bures <ken at hekkla.com> wrote:

> This is my first attempt at using Scribus. I've layed out a document
> that has text and an eps image on the left-hand half of a letter-size
> page in landscape mode (eventually I'll put something on the
> right-hand side too, but this is my first try). When I print it, two

scribus is a bit harsh to beginners.

> things happen: first, the printed image is 1/2 the size indicated by
> the Scribus rulers. The printer prints in portrait mode, printing on
> the bottom 1/2 of the page. Of course, since my artwork occupied only
> the left-hand 1/2 of the letter-sized landscape paper, this printed
> image occupies only the left 1/2 of the bottom 1/2 of the
> portrait-printed paper. So my image is 1/2 the size I really want.
> The second issue is that it prints "Draft" across the middle of the
> bottom 1/2 of the portrait-printed paper.
>
> I want the artwork to be printed full-size in landscape mode, and I
> don't want "Draft" there. I can't find anything in the documentation
> about setting up the printer to print in landscape, or anything about
> removing "Draft". Can you help?

Let me try from distance.

Can you try this:

First the EPS. There are two ways this can go wrong. I have always the
feeling that Scribus uses the bitmap included in the EPS. Create it
with a good resolution. Then, in the dialog to create the PDF is a
field in which you set the actual resolution of the EPS. Set it to at
the least the printer's resolution. You can also embed the EPS file.

It is also a good idea to outline the fonts. Especially when moving the
file across machines.

That the file is not printed in landscape should be a problem of the
PDF viewer or printer driver. You have to check there.

Erich