[scribus] How can I get a double underline in Scribus.

Rolf-Werner Eilert eilert-sprachen at t-online.de
Thu Oct 18 08:40:50 UTC 2012

Am 18.10.2012 09:26, schrieb ale rimoldi:
> hi
>
>> a.l.e, I seem to have offended you, I am sorry.
>
> no, wena you have not offended me personally.
>
> it's hard to communicate over the internet, most of us are not
> comfortable with the english language, and DTP is not an easy field to
> work on.
>

> there are lot of knowledge to acquire in order to produce good printed
> stuff.
> scribus somehow allows a more democratic access to the tools needed to
> achieve the result, but there are very few resources teaching how to
> improve and learn to use those tools.
> it takes time and one mostly needs help from the people around her.
> the problem is that most of the time there is nobody around to escort
> you in your learning process and most of the people don't really want
> to consecrate much time in learning the new tools and skills.
>
> how to improve this?
>
> there are many sites doing contests with a topic, where people can
> share their work and learn together new skills...
>
> would something like this make sense for scribus?
> - i tend to see the average scribus user as way too busy to participate
>    in such activities and
> - the topics for such contest may be too difficult too find (it's easier
>    to "draw santa with inkscape"... or do a "obama - romney gimped
>    together" contest...)
>

> does anybody have any briliant idea, how we could help our users to
> better learn about DTP?

Years ago, I found a very good (small) book about that topic, covering
the then up-to-date Quark. It has a lot of examples, little but intense
text and goes through all general topics of the DTP field, mainly
covering magazine layouts. The author talks about his own practice and
shows how other designers work.

But this is a limited approach as it has to do with creativity. Good
layout is a piece of art, and arts cannot be learned from a book, you
have it - or not. The rest is a set of tools, like DTP, and that is what
can be learned.

We run a school for languages, mainly business languages, and amongst
others we train translators for English and French. Same situation here:
A good translator is an artist, good translating includes similar
aspects of art as does a good layout. We teach the set of tools, but we
cannot produce good translators by will.

Back to the book: Not every reader of a tutorial needs to know about the
whole stuff, so it might be better to spread up such information into
small chunks. Furthermore it might be good to give a general set of
first steps or overview of the topic, then a second part which
penetrates the problem in depth for the experts (maybe even kind of
reference). And it should cover both the art and the techniques.

Maybe one could find a rough direction or inspiration for the topics
through such a book, but if presented online, it should make use of
online habits and possibilities, too.

Rolf