[Scribus] New to the list...

Manuel Vázquez Acosta manuelva
Mon Sep 5 23:29:42 CEST 2005

Hi Peter,

Unfortunally, we're currently not able to connect to IRC channels. We hope we will be able soon.

What we are looking for is an overall Scribus Architecture view and/or vision (like OpenOffice guys have at <http://oooauthors.org/en/authors/developmentprimer/OOo_Architecture>).

Of course we long to contribute our work and to do it by agreement with the Scribus team, in order not to create an individual branch of development which wouldn't help the project after all. That's why we're looking for some vision - roadmap can help though. So, a graphical sketch would help us a lot. But don't worry if there's none available at the time, maybe we can help on those areas too.

Best regards,
Manuel.

-----Original Message-----
From: scribus-bounces at nashi.altmuehlnet.de [mailto:scribus-bounces at nashi.altmuehlnet.de] On Behalf Of PLinnell
Sent: Monday, September 05, 2005 4:30 PM
To: scribus at nashi.altmuehlnet.de
Subject: Re: [Scribus] New to the list...

On Monday 05 September 2005 19:20, Manuel V?zquez Acosta wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I'm new to Scribus and to the list. My interest on Scribus is on
> development. I'm writing on behalf of currently small team of
> developers which could grow in the next few months. We are working
> for newspapers and press agencies, and some of our work includes a
> program like Window's QuarkXPress or PageMaker. It seems Scribus is
> that program. But we need to extend it in some ways, specially
> integrating it to our workflow system.
>

> What we need is some directions in the arquitecture and
> organization of the code. Does anybody knows where to find it? Does
> anybody can help us?
>

> Best regards and thanks
>
> Manuel.

Hi,

There is some older API docs when you download CVS, but they are
probably out of date already.

Some general thoughts:

We on the team use IRC a *lot*. So, getting on-line with us can be
very helpful.

http://docs.scribus.net has a section for developers. There are docs
on the scripter API, as well as writing plugins and the 1.2.x file
format. This might be a good start point for your plans.

We have basically frozen development on 1.2.x, and now treat it as a
stable code base. Only bug fixes and minor non-invasive features are
backported.

The 1.3.x series is current under very heavy development and is not
stable for production use. The 1.3.x roadmap is here:
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/1.3.x_Roadmap

I hope that helps,

Peter