[Scribus] Scribus for Scientific Posters?

avox avox
Sat Dec 1 22:41:21 CET 2007

Martin Costabel wrote:

> At the mathematical conferences I have been attending recently, the
> standard for posters is to use LaTeX for the whole poster. Not for text
> pages glued together afterwards, but for complete A0 posters with all
> kinds of graphics mixed with text. Here are two examples:
> <http://canum2006.univ-rennes1.fr/exposes_et_posters/poster_bonnaillie.pdf>
> <http://canum2006.univ-rennes1.fr/exposes_et_posters/poster_minnolina.pdf>
>
> Some are doing it with PowerPoint (and I guess OOo will be similar), but
> the inferior quality of the mathematical formulas sticks out.
>
> Gregory Pittman wrote:
>> Otherwise, as has been said, the ability to use LaTex in frames in
>> 1.3.5svn is coming along nicely -- still you will have to learn formula
>> creation in LaTeX.
>
> As long as Scribus does not allow to include pdfs as pdfs, but insists
> on creating bitmaps, it will not compete. Pixelization at 300 dpi for an
> A4-sized poster is getting absurd.

The plan is to embed PDF and PS images as vectors in the future. I hope we
can implement that in 1.3.6, or else in 1.3.7.

300dpi looks decent for a A0 poster to me. But you are right, using bitmaps
is not the way to go.

The problem with using LaTeX for the whole poster is that it's more a
composition
than a design process. So while the quality of the typography and the images
is
very good, the overall poster design is not very good. It's quite hard to
get spaces,
alignment, color scheme, proportions etc. right with a non-WYSIWYG program.

We aim at extending the TeX capabilities of Scribus such that it would be
possible
to flow LaTeX through Scribus frames. That means turning off LaTeX's
pagestyle options
and defining a sequence of pages that has exactly the dimensions of a chain
of linked
frames in Scribus. That, together with the vector embedding of LaTeX output,
should
turn Scribus into a very powerful LaTeX page layout program.

/Andreas