[Scribus] PHP extension?

Craig Ringer craig
Tue Dec 4 18:03:21 CET 2007

Christian Pernot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if it would be possible to program a php extension for
> controlling scribus, using the Scribus API, as the command line doesn't
> exist at the moment.

Nothing would stop you in theory. Given that PHP tends to have very
short lived processes you'd probably want to use a message passing
design between your PHP extension and a Scribus plugin. You'd be largely
duplicating the Python scripter plugin's functionality (probably -
depends on your needs).

Alternately, if the Scribus Python scripter can do what you need, it's
pretty easy to write a Python script that can remote-control Scribus
through the scripter. You could potentially send remote requests to a
Python script running in Scribus from PHP - say, passing XML requests
over a socket.

Scribus won't make a very good server process though. It's strictly
single threaded, slow to start up, the internal API isn't much fun to
work with, and existing remote control/scripting facilities are limited.

So ... what are you actually trying to *do* by controlling Scribus from PHP?

--
Craig Ringer