[scribus] Starting with Scribus

Murray Strome wmstrome at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 7 20:15:52 CEST 2009

When I started using Scribus, I was a complete novice as well. I had barely even heard of the term "DeskTop Publishing", and certainly knew nothing about Scribus.  The book: "Scribus: The Official Manual" is excellent, but it a LONG time to get it after I ordered it.

I found the most helpful way to get started was to assist writing a new Tutorial, which can be found at:

http://www.oliveroot.net/Scribus/Getting_Started_With_Scribus_2008/

The tutorial itself is in OpenOffice format, and all the working files are located at this site. There are two versions: A4 for European (and Asian?) users, and US Letter for Canadians and Americans (and perhaps others).

I have been using Scribus successfully for over a year now, and although I am no expert, I have found it to be a very powerful tool. I have used it to produce quarterly newsletters, greeting cards, posters, and course participants manuals.

For me, perhaps the biggest challenge was in developing a completely new mindset -- I had primarily used Office software like Word, WordPerfect, OpenOffice, etc. to produce such documents. I still do most of my initial text editing with OpenOffice, but the final stages are done with Scribus now.  The most important benefit (for me) is that, with Scribus, images and other objects stay where they are supposed to be!

My biggest problems with Scribus are that it is slow, it does not have a good built-in spell checker, and it has some technical flaws which take me by surprise, at times (I have always found a way to work around these without too much trouble).

This E-mail list is populated by a large community of VERY helpful people. When I started, I was subscribed to the full list and really appreciated the rapid, polite and helpful responses to my naive questions.  After becoming a bit more adept at using the software, I now only subscribe to the digest as I no longer need the rapid feedback.

There few user lists that are as active and helpful as this one.

Good luck in your efforts!

Murray

Saturday, July 4, 2009 6:14 AM