[scribus] I need help creating a publication for a public school

"Sveinn í Felli (IMAP)" sveinki at nett.is
Tue Jul 7 22:07:19 CEST 2009

John Culleton wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 July 2009 01:36:11 pm Tobias Lochner wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

>> I’m working as a teacher at a public school. At moment it’s my
>> task to compile a publication about all the stuff that’s going on
>> at our school over the year.
>>
>> Because there is already an other booklet about the school, which
>> is made by a professional, I want to use (nearly) the same
>> design, that was used in this publication. (This is also wanted
>> by the administration.) I attached a two page excerpt as an
>> example.
>>

>> So this leads to my question(s):
>>

>> Is it possible to realize this kind of layout with scribus at
>> moment?
>>
>> How can I get something like the circle-like borders on the left
>> and right?
>>
>> What about the dropshawdows?
>
> The slate boards with drop shadows I would make in Gimp and import
> as a single graphic.  The drop shadow with the blended edge is
> easier in Gimp.
>
> For the big circles you need a transparent layer with the part
> circle inscribed and the outer area filled with semi-transparent
> white.  Again this is easy in Gimp but perhaps doable in Scribus.
> It looks like that newsletter was done with Photoshop or Gimp.
>
> Scribus 1.3.5 has a Gimp exit that might be useful.

More likely this is done in a drawing program like
Illustrator, CorelDraw, Xara etc. Probably easy to do in
Inkscape.
I think it's no big deal to do a similar layout in Scribus,
except maybe for the drop shadows - which in this case are
awfully ower the top...

Is the publication intended for printing or as PDF on a
website ?

Sveinn í Felli