[scribus] linking text frames

Margaret and George McIntosh tenbear at myfairpoint.net
Fri Aug 27 14:09:51 CEST 2010

On 27 Aug 2010 at 7:02, Christen Anderson wrote:

> Submitted on 08/27/2010
> Submitted by anonymous user: [10.1.5.224]
>
> Submitted values are:
>
>    Name: Christen Anderson
>    Email Address: thehefay at gmail.com
>    Subject: linking text frames
>    Message:
> Whenever I attempt to link text frames to each other, using the
> method
> described in several places, including the Scribus wiki, an error
> box pops up
> that says, "You are trying to link to a filled frame, or a frame to
> itself."
> I've tried doing it several different ways, but the same message
> always pops
> up. Is there a different way to link text frames together, or is it
> perhaps a
> bug in the program?
>
>    About your Scribus program:
>      Version: 1.3.3.13
>      Prebuilt/Compiled: Prebuilt
>      Build Date:
>    Your operating system and CPU:
>      Type: Windows
>      Version: XP
>      CPU type: 32bit (Intel/AMD - i386)

Christen,

I have linked text frames and have seen the error message you describe. It has always
been due to using the wrong sequence.
Try:
1.You have the original frame with to much text in it.
2. Make your second text frame.
3. Select the original frame.
4.Click on the "Link Text Frames "icon.
5. Select the new frame.

They should now be linked and the excess text should be in the new frame. Works
for me.
BTW, I am using Win 7 x64 and Win Vista.

George