[scribus] linking text frames

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 27 14:41:06 CEST 2010

On 08/27/2010 08:09 AM, Margaret and George McIntosh wrote:
> On 27 Aug 2010 at 7:02, Christen Anderson wrote:
>
>> Submitted on 08/27/2010
>> Submitted by anonymous user: [10.1.5.224]
>>
>> Submitted values are:
>>
>>     Name: Christen Anderson
>>     Email Address: thehefay at gmail.com
>>     Subject: linking text frames
>>     Message:
>> Whenever I attempt to link text frames to each other, using the
>> method
>> described in several places, including the Scribus wiki, an error
>> box pops up
>> that says, "You are trying to link to a filled frame, or a frame to
>> itself."
>> I've tried doing it several different ways, but the same message
>> always pops
>> up. Is there a different way to link text frames together, or is it
>> perhaps a
>> bug in the program?
>>

> Christen,
>
> I have linked text frames and have seen the error message you describe. It has always
> been due to using the wrong sequence.
> Try:
> 1.You have the original frame with to much text in it.
> 2. Make your second text frame.
> 3. Select the original frame.
> 4.Click on the "Link Text Frames "icon.
> 5. Select the new frame.

or a bit more generically,

presuming you already have one or more frames to link to...

1. Select the last frame in your current sequence
2. click the Link Text Frames icon
3. click the next frame to link to, then the next, and so on
4. Don't forget to click the Link Text Frames icon again when you're done

Greg