[scribus] Landscape printing

Peter Nermander peter at nermander.se
Wed Dec 7 12:22:31 UTC 2011

> When installing the printer, i choosed the explicitely advised driver.

Adviced by who?

As far as I understand it Ubuntu want their distribution to work with
as much different hardware as possible. This means that they often
suggest a "driver that might work" instead of saying "sorry, we don't
have a driver for that printer".

For printers using postscript the correct PPD is critical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostScript_Printer_Description

With the incorrect PPD the printing system will send wrong commands to
the printer when it comes to paper selection etc.

> Should i blame Scribus or Ubuntu for not being shipped with an included
> sysadmin ?

You should possibly blame your printer manufacturer for not supplying
a driver for your operating system.

As far as I know, neither MS Windows nor for example Indesign comes
with printer drivers for every possible printer. It is up to the
device manufacturer to provide drivers. Windows has a lot of drivers
included, but not for every device. And many of the included drivers
are old and may contain bugs. The general recommendation is always to
get the latest driver from the hardware manufacturer. that goes for
printers, monitors, network cards, scanners etc.

/Peter